Linksys is a popular option when it comes to wireless routers. It has undoubtedly earned its place in the market due to its excellent customer service and cost-effectiveness. When compared to other brands, Linksys offers extra features to its users, which makes it stand out. For example, along with good speed and coverage, a Linksys router also has user-friendly controls and MIMO capabilities.
How to connect the Linksys Router?
Connecting a Linksys router is a simple process. Ensure that you have enough Ethernet cables at hand to connect the modem to the router and the router to your system. Even in wireless connections, you need a wired connection for the setup. Now, follow these steps:
- Connect an Ethernet cable on the back of the router To the port labeled “Internet” or “WAN.”
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect your computer to the router port. For a wireless connection, remove the Ethernet cable after you have finished setting up.
- After the setup, connect the router to a power outlet. After the router has finished initializing, the LED lights on the front will turn solid green.
- Type “192.168.1.1” (without quotes) in the URL bar of a website browser and press “Enter.”
- Type “admin” (without quotes) in the Password field and click “OK.” Leave the Username field empty.
- On the setup tab, go to “MAC Address Clone.”
- Select “Enabled” and then go to “Clone My PC’s MAC,” and then save settings.
- Go to “Status” and check the numbers next to the Internet IP Address. If any numbers are visible, the router is configured properly.
- If you see “0.0.0.0,” go to “Release IP Address” and click “Renew IP Address.
How to Login to Linksys Router
Before your login, make sure you have the following things at hand:
- A configured Linksys router
- Steady internet connection
- A web browser
Once you have these things ready, follow these instructions to login to Linksys Router:
Step 1: Connect to the network by Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable.
Step 2: Open your browser and in the URL bar, type in the router’s IP address. Mostly, the IP address for Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1. If this IP address is not working, you can search for your router’s IP address.
Step 3: Enter the default username and password in their respective fields and sign in.
If you are unable to access your router using this IP address, you will need to identify the correct local IP address. Before you start, it is essential that your PC remains connected to your router, either through a wired or wireless connection. In case you are using a wired connection, make sure that the Ethernet cable is connected correctly by checking the light indicators on your router. Moreover, note down your computer’s operating system and version. For Windows 10:
- Click search on the taskbar and enter “cmd.”
- Select command prompt
- In the command prompt, type and open “config/all”
- Look for the Default Gateway section where your router’s IP address will be mentioned
For Windows 8 / 8.1:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key
- In the command prompt, type and enter “ipconfig/all”
- Look for the Default Gateway section where your router’s IP address will be mentioned.
How to change Password in the Linksys Router?
To avoid unwanted access to your information, it is essential to change your password in the Linksys router.
Step 1: Open your web browser and type in the IP address of the router into the address bar. (192.168.1.1)
Step 2: Enter your credentials in the fields. The username field is left empty, and the password is ‘admin’ by default.
Step 3: Enter a new Wi-Fi password in the field and save your settings.
How to reset Linksys Router?
If you are facing any issue regarding the router’s password or cannot access the web page, you might want to reset the router to its default settings. To do it manually, press and hold the reset button for approximately 10 seconds. This will also reset your router’s password. Furthermore, make sure that the ‘Power’ LED of the router is blinking during this process. This means that your router is being reset effectively.
On the other hand, to reset the router through the web-based setup page:
Step 1: Access the router’s web-based setup page by typing in the IP address of your router into your web browser.
Step 2: Visit the “Administration” tab and select the “Factory Defaults” sub-tab.
3. In the “Factory Defaults” section, select on the “Restore Factory Defaults” button to reset your Linksys router.
Linksys Router Default Password
Linksys router has a standard default blank username and a password ‘admin.’ These are needed when you want to login to the router’s web-based setup page to change any setting. Some models of the router do not follow the standard to you can look for your default username and password online as well! If you have forgotten your new password, you can always revert by resetting the router to its default password. Follow these instructions:
1. Power on the router and press and hold the reset button for about 30 seconds.
2. Unplug the power of the router and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds
3. Turn on the power again and hold for another 30 seconds.
If you still cannot access your Linksys router, there is a good chance that your router needs to be replaced.
Some of the best Linksys routers in the market are:
1. Linksys EA9500
2. Linksys WRT1900ACS
3. Linksys EA6350
4. Linksys WRT3200ACM
5. Linksys MR8300
Linksys routers are a top pick for most people as they are convenient and budget-friendly. They can also be easily installed and maintained. Other than high speed and great coverage, they offer smooth wireless access, which is suitable for many users in a typical household. Setting up a Linksys router is simple, and even if you are not a tech geek, you can easily follow the instructions as mentioned earlier.